Wednesday, 7 February 2018

Wednesday the Seventh

Happy Birthday Hugo!!
Today in Kindergarten we had our first Christian Studies lesson with Mrs. Peters where we played a game that involved dancing along to music. I think we are going to have a lot of fun with her throughout the year. 

This afternoon we were introduced to the concept of being able to spell. We learnt about the difference between a phoneme (a sound that we hear), and a grapheme (the letter combinations used to make a sound). Starting with the two phonemes 'a' and 't' we created a word by blending the two phonemes together to make the word 'at'. We then went a step further by adding a letter to the front of the word to create another word. Time was spent substituting different letters at the beginning of the word 'at' to create many words. Here are some words that we found we could make...
- cat     - sat
- bat     - fat
- rat     - vat
- mat   - hat

Nataya and Zya found an interesting word by comping two letters to create a diagraph (two letters that when combined make one sound) by adding the letter 'e' to the front of 'at'. The 'e' and the 'a' make a new sound to create the word 'eat' it was some excellent spelling and blending from the two of them.


Mrs. Bennett came into our classroom after recess and asked us questions about how we are settling into life in Kindergarten. Here are some of the questions and our responses.

What are some of your favourite things at school?
One of my favourite things is the uniform. - Annabelle
I like reading sentences and books. We are reading James and the Giant Peach. - Beau
The best thing is reading a book on the couch. - George
Dancing is my favourite. We did dancing at drama and Christian Studies. - Will
I like drawing rainbows and oceans and fish. - Isabel
I like my school shoes and socks. - Paris


What have you been learning?
We have been learning about full stops and phonemes and about how sounds work. - Taylor
I have been learning how to write sentences. - Scout
We have been learning writing. We have been writing letters. - Hope
We have been drawing pictures from the THRASS chart. - Ming Ming
We have been learning to read books and our hot words. - Sophia
We are learning about the alphabet. We have been doing our handwriting and tracing our letters on the paper. - Mia
I am learning to do the letters properly. - Charlie
We know about Collaboration. When someone is sad you can go and say something to them to make them feel better. - Taylor
We know about the people who illustrate books. - Elena


What are some new things you have done at school?
We have been learning bigger numbers. In Cottage we did smaller numbers. - Indigo
I have been playing soccer with Lachy. - Will
I have been playing on the equipment. - Florence
We have been colouring the pictures on the THRASS chart. - Nataya


What are the best things about our school?
Our teachers and our class are the best. - Beau
I love playing with my friends. - Hugo
I like reading books. - Zya
Teachers on duty help you and there is the playground. - Florence

Just a reminder that in order to play during lunch and recess that your child needs to have a play hat (Blue Bucket Hat). These can be purchased on FlexiSchools.

Also some information about sport uniforms. We have PE on a Monday so the children will need to wear their sports uniform with their coloured shirt on Monday. The children are also able to wear their sport uniform on Friday however they need to be wearing the white sport shirt instead of the coloured one.

No comments:

Post a Comment